Accommodation Policy and Procedures
bebo mia is committed to creating a learning environment rooted in mutual respect, dignity and equity. We recognize that every person has the right to be free from discrimination and that accommodations may be necessary to ensure that individual students receive equitable treatment as guided by The Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Purpose: The purpose of this policy is demonstrate our compliance with our legal duty accommodate based on the grounds outlined in the The Ontario Human Rights Code, as well as to articulate a pro-active and shared approach to handling student accommodation.
- Scope: This policy applies to all people enrolled in bebo mia programs and membership.
- Definition: Accommodation refers to services, adaptations, adjustments and/or strategies to equalize opportunities for a person in meeting the essential requirements of applying for or achieving the learning outcomes in a program.
- bebo mia shall provide accommodation to students, to the point of undue hardship.
- bebo mia shall not deny an accommodation request on the basis that a student may not be successful in the program or find work in related employment.
- bebo mia shall not implement accommodations that would fundamentally alter course or program requirements or exempt a student from the requirement to demonstrate competency in the subject matter. Once accommodation is provided, students are expected to meet the essential requirements of their academic programs.
- bebo mia shall use a partnership approach to the accommodation process whereby the responsibilities are shared between the student/applicant requiring accommodation and the Program Coordinator.
- The student shall identify their disability by contacting bebo mia’s administration department. bebo mia encourages self-identification and early disclosure of accommodation needs.
- The Program Coordinator will meet with the student collect, review and assess the necessary information of the disability in 5 business days.
- Together, the student and the Program Coordinator shall identify and discuss appropriate academic accommodations, and then create an Individualized Education Plan (IPE).
- If students are dissatisfied with the accommodation process, they can appeal any decision with the bebo mia grievance board.
Please contact email@example.com to request the Accommodation Application.